Re: Leg Amputation

Posted by:  Marie Evans
Posted on:  November 20, 2002 at 21:01:27

In Reply to: Re: Leg Amputation
Category:   Medical
Posted by:  Tamie
Posted on:  November 20, 2002 at 20:02:40

Question:

: I wanted to comment about the question that was posed concerning a leg amputation with a two year old JRT. I would first like to say that my experience with a serious leg injury was not with a JRT. In the case I had to deal with was with a racing greyhound. The greyhound was about 2 years old at the time of his injury. The injury was not caused by a car accident, but all the same it was an extremely extensive injury, to the point it was lifethreatening for the dog. When I took the dog to the vet, the plan that I had for the dog was to save him to adopt him out to a good home. After the vet went into surgery with the dog he seriously considered removing the leg because of the extensive damage. Since at the time the dog had lost a great deal of blood the vet closed for the time being so that the dog would be able to get stronger before deciding whether or not proceed with the amputation. This also allowed him time to discuss the situation with me. In my case we chose to try to save the leg. It did require a very long recovery period. It was also the more costly choice. However, after 5 months recovery time this particular dog went on to not only race again but was also a top class racing dog. The vet that cared for this dog attributed a great deal of his positive recovery to his young age.

: Although, I would never claim to know what is best for your JR, only you would know that. I wanted to share this dogs story to you in order to let you know that dogs are capable of sustaining horrible injuries and coming through them with what seems to us to be amazing recoveries. Your dog has age on its side if you do choose to try to save the leg. Good luck with whatever you decide and give your little one a big hug for me.

Response:

Hi Tamie,

Thanks for sharing your experience with this type of situation. I am sure it will help the previous poster in her decision on what to do.

Regards,
Marie