Re: aggression towards owner

Posted by:  Marie Evans
Posted on:  November 22, 2002 at 08:03:57

In Reply to: aggression towards owner
Category:   Aggression
Posted by:  Elena Beis
Posted on:  November 19, 2002 at 02:32:27

Question:

: I've had my female JRT, Zoi, for nearly 10 months. She's exactly one year old and has been spayed. About 3 weeks ago, I adopted another JRT mix from a shelter, and around the same time, Zoi has shown a lot of aggression towards me; she not only growls, barks, and shows her teeth but also has bitten me several times drawing blood. I've read all the questions and responses dealing with aggression, but none have really dealt with this exact type of aggression towards an owner. It is almost as if she's is really irritated w/ me for getting another dog and she gets worse if I try to pay attention to the new dog too. I've already talked to a trainer and plan to start a class soon, but I thought I would ask anyway. I will do whatever it takes to help her work through this.

: Thanks for your time,
: Elena

Response:

Hi Elena,

The first thing I would do is take Zoi in for a check up. And sudden signs of aggression might be related to a physical problem, so it's best to rule that out or in first and deal with the problem from there.

You should also me making sure to show Zoi tons of attention without the other dog in the way. Make sure to carve out special time just for her.

If any physical problem is ruled out with Zoi then a session with a behaviorist might be in order for this. Usually the aggression is with the new dog and not the owner.

Regards,
Marie