Re: Information on "Chewies" and Kudos

Posted by:  Leslie Hemsing
Posted on:  November 22, 2002 at 19:27:11

In Reply to: Information on "Chewies" and Kudos
Category:   General Training
Posted by:  Marylou
Posted on:  November 22, 2002 at 15:06:48

Question:

: We have a wonderful remarkably well-behaved and loving 4-month-old female named Mocha, who has enriched our family immeasurably. Although we researched the breed somewhat before buying her and the people we bought her from were marvelous and very helpful, your website has been invaluable in providing lots of excellent specific information. I highly recommend that new owners read through the FAQs periodically. They have been extremely useful. Thank you all!

: I'm a little embarrassed to ask my question, but "The Search For JRT Chew Toys That Last More Than Ten Minutes" compels me. (So does the fact that we have not been in the USA for long and are unfamiliar with most of the infinite number and kinds of pet products available here!) In a letter Rebecca wrote to answer Leslie on 20 Nov 02 regarding "Definition of 'restricted activity' after spaying", she mentioned "Chewies in their crates". Rebecca, were you referring to a specific item or to any number of chewable items? If there is some terrific semi-JRT-proof chew toy on the market called "Chewies", I want to know about them! (It's kind of like when you hear and read about "Kongs" and everyone but you knows what is meant.) I have read your "toy" FAQs---Are there any other "Chewies" you suggest?

: This website is the kind of amazing free "public service" available in this country that I think a lot of North Americans take for granted.

: Thank you again from a very grateful user,
: Marylou

Response:

Dear Marylou,

On behalf of the webmaster and the other Forum volunteers, thank you so very much for your kind words and praise. And welcome... :-)

Thank you also for pointing out my mis-use of the word "Chewies." It is simply a word I personally use for anything and everything I give my terriers to chew on. Well...except for ice cubes which we call "water bones" and baby carrots which we call...carrots!? :-)

"Kong" and "Nylabone" are brand names for types of chew toys; Nylabone also offers a "puppy" version of their product called a "Gumabone." The toys come in several different sizes/forms to meet the chewing needs of most breeds. Chew toys made from rawhide are acceptable but you have to carefully read the fine print as to where/how the hides were cured (no chemicals.) Also, "small" dog does not necessarily mean small toy; I've found that the next size up from what is recommended is best for this breed.

Again, I thank you on behalf of all of the volunteers and personally apologize for the "chewie" misunderstanding. Congratulations on your new pup; please give Miss Mocha a big hug and kiss from all of us.

Warm regards,
Leslie