Re: Come command

Posted by:  Marie Evans
Posted on:  November 22, 2002 at 19:50:00

In Reply to: Come command
Category:   General Training
Posted by:  Michele
Posted on:  November 22, 2002 at 15:01:37

Question:

: We have a 7 1/2 month JRT, Bailey. My husband and I both share responsibilities of Bailey b/c he works nights and I work days but she seems to only really listen to my husband with the "COME" command. I have spoken with a trainer, etc. and she told me that Bailey thinks of me more as her playmate and not the boss. For about 3 weeks, I had her listening to me and coming on command (I would tap a newspaper on the floor and she would immediately come) BUT she no longer is listening to me and will bark and bark at me and when I tell her to come she just runs around and has me chasing her. I don't know what to do. She listens to everything else but this come command. Note: If I'm trying to get her to come, I can ask my husband to call her and she'll immediately come out from under the table, couch, etc. What am I to do???

Response:

Hi Michele,

It can be pretty frustrating when your dog obeys someone else better than you ... ask my husband lol!

You should try the following tips by yourself without the dog in the beginning to get your timing down right. And then work with Bailey after you feel comfortable with this routine.

Anyway, what you are going to need to do is work Bailey on lead. Give the command only once and she has 3 seconds to perform it. While holding the leash in your hand, issue the command " BAILEY COME" give a short pop on the leash and then start backing up while you are facing Bailey. Having a treat in your hand is acceptable while you are training and give encouraging words to her "yeah, good girl, good girl"). Continue backing until she "catches" you and feed her a treat, held in both hands with your hands touching your body.

Here are some DOs and DON'Ts for this command:

DO have a really good treat held in both your hands when Bailey "catches" you and make sure your hands are close to your body (it's a bit harder to do with a small dog so you can improvise).

DO encourage her vocally to come to you but DON'T repeat the command "COME"!

DO use a buckle collar for this exercise.

DO remember to "pop" your dog even if you think she doesn't need the reminder - if she turns and comes in fast enough she won't get popped.

DO keep your sessions brief and fun.

DON'T ever call Bailey to you if there's anything she might construe as unpleasant (calling her to discipline her, calling her for a bath if she doesn't like them, that goes for grooming and nail clipping too, stopping playtime etc)

DON'T repeat the command! The more you repeat the more they think you don't mean it!

DON't chase her around!

DON'T USE ANY OTHER TYPE OF COLLAR THAN A FLAT BUCKLE COLLAR FOR THIS EXERCISE!! NO PRONGS, CHOKES, HEAD HALTERS!!!!

This is an exercise you cannot practice enough. You should do this exercise at least 3X a day and call Bailey to you 3X per session.

Get her proficient with the leash and you then can start to do some off leash work with her.

And always remember, DON'T give a command to your dog that you cannot reinforce.

Good luck you can do it!

Marie