Re: male acting strange when female in season

Posted by:  Carol Pierce
Posted on:  November 22, 2002 at 20:03:55

In Reply to: male acting strange when female in season
Category:   Behavior Problems
Posted by:  john
Posted on:  November 21, 2002 at 16:24:25

Question:

: We have a 2 year old male (Jack) intact JR who is starting to growl at us when we either pet him or disipline him and urinate on things. He doesn't show his teeth and it is a faint growl. Our 1 year old female is just starting to come into season for the second time. Is this a result of our female coming in season? Jack is also going around the house sniffing and licking the carpet where our female was. Thanks

Response:

Dear John,

Unless you have an awfully good reason for keeping an intact dog, I would get him to the Vet pronto for neutering. Growling at you is not excusable under any circumstances, faint or not. I sense from the way your questions are phrased that you're not experienced in canine reproduction, and I'm sure you don't want an accidental litter of pups on your hands.

Of course your dog is intensely interested in every scent and taste of the in-season bitch. Its his only purpose in life, breeding as many eligible bitches as possible. I've given a link for more info. Please do the dogs and yourself a favor and consider neutering both of them. Best of luck, and thanks for your question.

Carol

Additional Reading: Spay/Neuter FAQ