Re: Over-Weight Jack

Posted by:  Leslie Hemsing
Posted on:  November 23, 2002 at 00:03:33

In Reply to: Over-Weight Jack
Category:   Breed Standard
Posted by:  Travis and Charity West
Posted on:  November 22, 2002 at 12:38:20

Question:

: I saved Sammy from the animal rescue in my area. He was papered at 3 years old, now he is 5. He spent a year with my wife in Tennessee while we where waiting to be married. When I got him he was 26 lbs. But, after returning to Florida and finding him allegic to fleas he had to go on Advantage and Prednisone. He got up to a massive 31 lbs, thankfully he's a Parson Russell... Our Vet took him off the prednisone and he's down to 28 lbs. But isn't 26 lbs. still too big?

: Sammy is very active He goes to the beach nearly everyday for about 1 1/2 hours,(you can do that in Florida)!

: Just a couple of weeks ago, we saved a female Jack, Saddie, for Sammy to help him loose some weight. Though she follows his lead, I can see him being more assertive with his playing

Response:

Dear Travis and Charity,

On behalf of all the Forum volunteers, thank you for adopting the needy JRTs. I'm sure Sammy and Saddie "reward" you guys for your kindness and generosity every day... :-)

Twenty-six pounds does seem a bit "too big" for a JRT but that doesn't necessarily mean Sammy is overweight; bone and muscle weigh more then fat. You should be able to easily feel his ribs when you run your hands over him from front to back; if you can't then Sammy needs to go on diet. :-)

Please use our search engine to read more about this issue and ways to deal with it.

Regards,
Leslie