Re: Chattering Teeth

Posted by:  Leslie Hemsing
Posted on:  November 24, 2002 at 00:15:01

In Reply to: Chattering Teeth
Category:   Medical
Posted by:  Karen Velitskakis
Posted on:  November 22, 2002 at 18:10:14

Question:

: I have just returned from my vets' office and was told that my dogs' problem was due to the dyes in the Purina dog bones and to switch to Iams' bones. My dog will have small bouts of his teeth chattering and his nose will run. It lasts only a few seconds, but this has me disturbed. The episodes occur several times a day. Can anyone give me any input? Thanks so very much!!!

Response:

Hi Karen,

If your terrier has these episodes AFTER eating his current brand of dog bone then switching to another brand may very well solve the problem. I suggest you give it a try and see if his symptoms go away.

If his teeth chattering is connected to eating a dog bone and it doesn't stop after changing brands, then you need to go back to the vet. He may have a problem within his mouth that is only affected by chomping down on a dog bone.

If there is no connection between the episodes and your terrier eating a dog bone then you need to start taking notes. Write down anything and everything that was going on with, and around, your terrier prior to his teeth chattering. It may take some time but you will find the connection; hang in there.

Best,
Leslie