Re: My 12 year old brother is allergic to cats

Posted by:  Leslie Hemsing
Posted on:  November 24, 2002 at 20:10:20

In Reply to: My 12 year old brother is allergic to cats
Category:   Other
Posted by:  Lee
Posted on:  November 24, 2002 at 19:42:34

Question:

: Hi. We are in talks about getting a dog, (I am opting for a Jack Russell) but one of our concerns is my brother, who is 12 years old. He has a mild case of asthma, and his eyes used to puff up whenever he was around cats for long periods of time. However, we have no reason other than that to believe he is allergic to dogs. His asthma has gotten much better, but we don't want to get a dog for life if he will have to live with puffed up eyes. He has been around dogs before and has shown no signs of any allergies towards them, but we just want to be sure. Is it possible that he's only allergic to cat hair? Is there such a thing? WHat do you think? Thank You.

Response:

Dear Lee,

Thank you for asking about allergies and asthma BEFORE your family gets a dog. I am impressed not only by your care and concern for your brother but also for your understanding that when you get a pet, it is for life.

The only person who can tell you for sure if your brother is allergic to dog hair/dander is his doctor. What I can tell you is that being "around" a dog is very different from living with one 24/7. Jack Russells Terriers shed ALOT and are not recommended for anyone who is even slightly allergic to pet hair/dander or has asthma.

I'm sorry to disappoint you as you seem like the kind of person who would take very good care of any pet. But for your brother and for the sake of the dog, I suggest you and your family not get a Jack Russell.

Best regards,
Leslie