Re: Adult Tooth Loss & Periodontal Disease

Posted by:  Leslie Hemsing
Posted on:  November 24, 2002 at 22:24:38

In Reply to: Adult Tooth Loss & Periodontal Disease
Category:   Medical
Posted by:  Laurie
Posted on:  November 24, 2002 at 19:57:40

Question:

: I've had Shayna since she was 6 1/2 weeks old. She is now 7 1/2 years old. In the last year, all 8 of her front teeth (upper & lower) have become loose. I did have her teeth cleaned this year but didn't let the Vet do extractions. The teeth are still loose and visibly mobile. I need to know if this usual and perhaps particular to JR's as my Bichon Frise did not have this problem. Also, should I allow extractions of the 8 teeth? Will this save the remaining teeth? Will she do okay without them? Thank you!

Response:

Dear Laurie,

JRTs are no more likely to suffer from tooth loss or gum disease then any other breed. There are so many different factors that cause or contribute to teeth/mouth problems that is often difficult, if not impossible, to find a reason.

That being said, our 9 1/2 year old litter sisters have both had tooth problems for most of their lives. Jasmine managed to break both of her upper molars within 2 years and we opted to remove them rather then have the root canal/capping procedure done. She also broke off half of a lower incisor (front tooth) which we also had removed.

Though Jade never broke a tooth, she suffered from our neglect of her "dirty" mouth. When we finally had her teeth cleaned 3 years ago, she was diagnosed with periodontal disease. Though her back teeth were affected, her incisors were of greater concern. After consulting with our vet, we elected to remove the three "worst" front teeth. To date, her remaining incisors are strongly in place, as are her other teeth.

In my opinion, extraction is a both a safe and viable treatment for teeth problems. Except for having to "endure" tooth brushing and gum massage, neither of our terriers suffer from being "toothless." :-)

Best,
Leslie