Re: growling, biting, aggresssion

Posted by:  Leslie Hemsing
Posted on:  November 25, 2002 at 01:18:00

In Reply to: growling, biting, aggresssion
Category:   Aggression
Posted by:  brooke smith
Posted on:  November 24, 2002 at 00:01:23

Question:

: i have a 6 year old female that has recently become more "cranky" and aggressive. she is frequently "showing her teeth" and attempting to bite myself and my husband. the behavior started when i got married 8 months ago. i assume she is just jealous, however i can't worry constanly about her biting me or my husband. we want to start a family and i'm terrified of what she'll do with a baby. i don't want to give her away, but my family's safety is first. i've taken her to a vet and she is healthy. what do i do? please help. i'm going crazy!

Response:

Dear Brooke,

After 6 years of having you all to herself, I'm not surprised that your terrier is reacting badly to her/your new circumstances. Please do not assume "jealousy" is the reason for her behavior. She may as likely be reacting to the change in environment, routine, etc.

Since your terrier is healthy, your next step is to contact a behaviorist. By observing your terrier and you and your husband, the behaviorist will help you understand your terrier's reactions and provide specific instructions on how to deal with them.

Thank you for taking responsibility for your terrier's well-being; I'm sure you agree that she certainly deserves more then the 8 months you've given her...

Leslie