Posted by:  Judy Churchfield
Posted on:  November 26, 2002 at 15:32:29

In Reply to: Humping
Category:   Behavior Problems
Posted by:  Roy Snare
Posted on:  November 26, 2002 at 05:46:16

Question:

: Hi,

: I have two questions regarding our 10 week old Jack named Chili. Firstly, Chili is a girl and she has now started to hump my arm. Is this normal behavior or is she confused about her sexuality.

: Secondly, we live in Finland and the winter here is extremely cold. She has been outside a few times, but not for more than 5-10 minutes at a time because I'm scared that it may be too cold. Can I take her outside for longer periods or should I wait until she is older?

: Kind regards

: Roy

Response:

Hi Roy,

Not to worry, it's normal behavior. But in order for it to not become an annoying habit, begin telling her "No" and gently pushing her away or placing her on the floor. Keep doing this and she will eventually get the idea that it's not acceptable behavior.

I'd be really careful about taking Chili outside for long periods of time when it is extremely cold for fear of frostbite (especially to her paws). I know that here in Ohio, we can get some nasty winter weather, and we're cautious about outdoor activities when it's 25 degrees Farenheit and below. Wind chill factor can also be of concern. It's probably best to keep your trips outside short until better weather arrives.

Best,
Judy