• Forum Menu
• Daily Digest
• Home Page

Post Response
[Restricted]

Re: Pooping in the house (no pee)

Posted by:  Marie Evans
Posted on:  November 26, 2002 at 18:48:56

In Reply to: Pooping in the house (no pee)
Category:   House Breaking
Posted by:  David Zychowski
Posted on:  November 26, 2002 at 10:32:10

Question:

: Hi, I am sure I am jumping the gun here but I just got a Lab and Hound mix from the APL. She is a great pup who is about 3 months old. The main problem I am having is that she poops in the house and will urinate outside. After a few days this still persits. I also have 2 othe rolder dogs ( a Black Lab 13, and a Boxer 5). When Ginger, the pup, goes outside I give her a ton of priase and reward with a treat when she comes in. I have found that the praise doesn't seem to be doing much as she ignores it and moves on.

: Like I said, I feel that I am jumoping the gun here because at this point she really doesn'e even know her name. Its been 13 years since I have had a puppy to housebreak.

: Any help would be very much appreciated.

: Thanks and have a great Holiday.

Response:

Hi David,

Housebreaking is housebreaking regardless of breed :) What we always tell our posters is to make sure you accompany the pup outside to make sure all its business gets done. When left up to their own devices what usually happens is the most urgent gets done and then they are too busy exploring things to take care of the other.

That's why we tell people to leash their pups and go out with them so you can encourage them and keep them focused on the business at hand. I also suggest in the beginning to use outdoors as strictly potty time, not for play time. When your pup completes all of her business, immediately bring her in.

What this helps to do is imprint the outside as her toilet area. Once she understands this and does this consistently then you can allow her outside for more than just potty time.

I am providing you a link to our recommended books. There you will find one titled "How to Housebreak Your Dog in 7 Days" by Shirlee Kalstone. Please purchase this book, it will be the best $8 you have ever spent and will be good for a refresher course in Housebreaking 101.

Hope you have a good holiday too!
Marie

Additional Reading: Recommended Books FAQ