Re: Will they ever get along?

Posted by:  Leslie Hemsing
Posted on:  November 26, 2002 at 21:59:02

In Reply to: Will they ever get along?
Category:   Aggression
Posted by:  Eva
Posted on:  November 26, 2002 at 21:03:12

Question:

: Hi! I have to start out by saying I LOVE THIS WEBSITE!! It has answered and helped out with so many of the why's in being owned by a jack rusell.
: Now to my question. I have a male jack, and he is 2, I rescued a 3 year old female 2 days ago from a co-workers friend (she wanted to give her to the pound since they said she is "Too hyper" and chew's pillows) God forbid I don't have the heart to let them put her in a pound, who knows what would have happened there.
: I have to say she is a fablous dog. She doesn't listen well, but I will work on that with her.
: My male, always wants to growl and bark at her all the time, poor thing she just wants to play and pounch him and he gets all mad and tries to attack her. they havent broken skin and no yelping or pain just lots of noise! Anyway is there anything i can do to help this along? Or will my jack ever except this new female? She always gives into him so i think thats a good sign? that he is the alfa male. Let me know what you think. I really value your input! Thanks a million Eva

Response:

Dear Eva,

Bless your heart for taking in the little girl. I'm sure she will have a much better life with someone who actually understands her.

It will take time for all of you to get used to the new situation. Keep to your normal routine -- the familiarity of it will help your male deal with the change and give your female a sense of order and security in her new home.

Since they are not drawing blood, and the female is backing off, I suggest it's best to just let them work things out on their own. Of course, you should certainly continue to supervise them and when you can't, they should be separated.

Please take advantage of our search engine; many "second terrier" owners have encountered the same issues you are dealing with so there's plenty of information available in the former posts. :-)

Best of luck to you all and again, thank you for taking in the little girl. And thank you for your kind words; let us know how it's going.

Regards,
Leslie