Re: Car Sick

Posted by:  Rick Hemsing
Posted on:  November 27, 2002 at 09:44:05

In Reply to: Re: Car Sick
Category:   
Posted by:  JudyChurchfield
Posted on:  November 26, 2002 at 15:51:01

Question:

: : When I take my dog Buster anywhere in the car he will get car sick. I can not drive 20-30 without him vomiting. I was in the shopping center the other day and he was riding in the cart and after we left the store and I put him on his leash he began to vomit. Some people said that he has motion sickness. Is there a cure for that?

:
Response:

: Hi Kimberly,

: Yes, some dogs suffer from carsickness. Boy, do they suffer!

: I have two terriers who didn't overcome carsickness until they were about 12-15 months old. We eliminated taking them with us on short trips, and gave them Dramamine for long trips when they absolutely had to go with.

: We used Less Drowsy Formula Dramanine (1/2 tablet) for long trips, giving them the pill at least one hour before departure on an empty stomach. They were still miserable, but it sure did cut down on the urping!

: Best,
: Judy

Response:

Kimberly -

We had the same problem with our two terriers when they were puppies. They grew out of it once they were a year old. We helped limit the problem by not feeding them for several hours prior to a trip in the car. They also always travel in a crate while in the car which helps them feel a bit safer (and they are correct!).

Good luck
Rick