Re: barking to children and footing persons

Posted by:  Marie Evans
Posted on:  November 27, 2002 at 10:09:23

In Reply to: barking to children and footing persons
Category:   Aggression
Posted by:  donatella
Posted on:  November 27, 2002 at 05:57:21

Question:

: I'm sorry for my bad English, I'm italian and I don't Know it very well. I've got a female jrt of 11 months old: Penny. She is fantastic. The only wrong thing:she runs furiously barking to persons that footing in the park. The same when she sees some children. She lives with me, my husband, a girl of 8 years old and a boy of 11 years old. She loves them e never bark to them. She doesn't bite at all, but people don't like this, of course!!J say "no", she seems understanding but next time she makes the same. Any suggestion? Thank you Donatella

Response:

Hi Donatella,

Penny doesn't bark at your children because she is used to your family but strangers are just that to her, strange! Many people make the mistake of isolating their dogs when they exhibit bad behavior in public and that would be the worst thing to do because it doesn't tackle the problem and the dogs usually get worse.

So continue to take her out and correct like you have been doing. When you say "NO" and she listens to you, praise her and maybe give her a little treat. This type of behavior modification will take many repetitions so get used to doing this a lot haha!

The more you get her out and expose her to other people the more used to being around people she will become and her barking should lessen with the help of your corrections and praise when she does good.

It is also very helpful to go to obedience school with your terrier because there she will be around other people and dogs in a controlled environment and get even more used to others. You will have the added benefit of having a trainer there that can show you other ways to deal with the barking problem.

Good luck!
Marie