Re: bathing and brushing

Posted by:  Marie Evans
Posted on:  November 27, 2002 at 18:07:07

In Reply to: bathing and brushing
Category:   Other
Posted by:  emily fernandez
Posted on:  November 27, 2002 at 17:09:07

Question:

: We only bath our JRT when he gets really soiled or rolls in something stinky. We bath him probably once every four or five months. Daily brushing seems to take care of the dirt and sand he gets himself into. When we DO bath him is there a special shampoo we should use? I bought a whitening shampoo but now I'm worried that this may be too harsh for his coat. Also, are baby wipes o.k. to use on him? Lastly, is there a type of comb that is especially useful for removing dead hair. My guy sheds SOOOOOO much! I'm beginning to think that the hair issue is a losing battle!! Any info you can give me would be helpful. thanks - Emily.
: PS - I don't know what I would do without this website and forum!! Keep up the good work!!

Response:

Hi Emily,

Well it sounds like you are on the right track about bathing your terrier. Too many baths can lead to all sorts of skin conditions.

I can only attest to what I use on my terriers and that is baby shampoo. Some might disagree with using this but most are very mild, ph balanced and if it's good enough for a baby's skin I figure it's good enough for my "fur babies'" skin :) I have never had any skin problems with either of them.

Also the best grooming tool I have ever come across is a semi-soft rubber curry that I picked up at my local farm store. It's a very small one intended for around the face of a horse, so it's more flexible than your regular curry comb but not quite as soft as the ones sold in your pet speciality stores. If you can find one like this, that's what I recommend (I always buy a bunch of them and pass them out to my friends) but if you can't, then the currys you find at the pet shops will be better than most anything else. BTW, they are also great for getting the hair off of your upholstered furniture!

Even with the curry though you will still find hair. A daily brushing will keep it to a minimum though.

Thanks for the kind words about the site and the forum, glad that it's helping you to raise your Russell!

Regards,
Marie