Re: crate training

Posted by:  Marie Evans
Posted on:  November 27, 2002 at 18:15:00

In Reply to: crate training
Category:   House Breaking
Posted by:  Kristi Gruver
Posted on:  November 27, 2002 at 15:52:34

Question:

: I have a 10 week old JRT and I am trying to crate train her. We have been crating her for four weeks now. should she be going out three times at night. I know she is small and they need to go out more, but I didn't know if this was normal. I am basically taking her out when she wakes up, and whines a little.
: Please Help

Response:

Hi Kristi,

Much depends on how much and when you are feeding her. It's pretty normal at that age to have to get up in the middle of the night to take them out.

Make sure you have her on a strict feeding schedule. She should be getting 3 small meals a day at this age and her last meal should be no later than 4:30-5:00PM this should help to keep your midnight trips to a minimum. You should also make sure to pick up the food bowl after 15 minutes if she hasn't eaten. Don't free feed during housebreaking, it will just help to defeat all of your hard work because the key to housebreaking is to control what goes in and when it goes in so you can better time when she will need to relieve herself.

Make sure to have her on a high quality puppy kibble. Most of the stuff you find in the grocery stores are loaded with filler, and filler means more frequent pooping and larger stools.

Please use our Go-to-Ground search for more info regarding housebreaking. It's our number 1 question so there is a LOT of info for you to read.

Regards,
Marie