Re: Long-term separation

Posted by:  Carol Pierce
Posted on:  November 28, 2002 at 11:31:15

In Reply to: Long-term separation
Category:   Other
Posted by:  Brenda
Posted on:  November 27, 2002 at 21:32:29

Question:

: My husband and I have been gone overseas for roughly 6 months. We left our 2 1/2 year old JRT with my sister who stayed with him at our house. I was unsure if he would remember us and am still not entirely convinced that he does.

: We have been home for almost a month now and things are pretty much back to normal but I was wondering if he actually remembers us or if he's just being his usual friendly self. We missed him immensely and I would hope he missed us just as much. Is is common for JRT's to remember someone that's been away for that long?

: Brenda

Response:

Brenda, this is an interesting subject. Its pretty well accepted as fact that animals in general have no concept of past or future, they live in the present moment. Dogs do seem to remember people and other dogs from their past, especially ones they met and hated! I'm sure he "remembers" you ! I think each person smells different to a dog, and they remember that scent quite well.

But the concept of passing time, and length of separation is too abstract for the canine mind to grasp. I doubt if your dog is aware that you were gone that long; it would seem the same to him as if you were gone for the weekend.

Since things are going well, and he and you are happy, I wouldn't worry about it. And, there's no way to tell what he might "think", despite how we like to think of our dogs as "little people", LOL.

Hope that sheds some light on your question.

C.P.