Re: afraid of dog sweater

Posted by:  Marie Evans
Posted on:  November 28, 2002 at 11:55:09

In Reply to: afraid of dog sweater
Category:   Behavior Problems
Posted by:  Lori McGinnis
Posted on:  November 27, 2002 at 15:36:32

Question:

: It is getting cold here, and I have pulled out the sweaters for my two dogs. One of them runs and hides as soon as she sees the sweater. When I put it on her to take her for a walk, she sulks and walks like she's in pain. Last night she even stopped and wouldn't walk. I decided to take the sweater off of her, and she became her normal self, running and playing. Any ideas why she may be afraid of this sweater?

Response:

Hi Lori,

Some dogs just don't like the feel of sweaters on them I guess. Most sweaters are built different from coats in the fact that there are usually little loops to put their back legs through and they usually fit pretty snug. Your girl might not like the feeling of the back leg loops.

You might want to try a coat on her instead, they are usually less constricting and don't have back leg loops. See if that works for her.

You also might want to condition her ahead of time by putting her sweater/coat on inside for a few minutes every day as she gradually gets used to wearing it. Give her treats and play with her to take her mind off of the sweater.

Regards,
Marie