Re: several- general behaviors

Posted by:  Marie Evans
Posted on:  December 22, 2002 at 11:26:36

In Reply to: several- general behaviors
Category:   General Training
Posted by:  Theresa Alberici
Posted on:  December 20, 2002 at 22:08:57

Question:

: Our family consists of 2 adults, 2 children and 2 female yellow labs, 13 and 14 years old.We adopted a 7-8 month old Jack Russell that physically was in good shape, but had not been played with or really trained. We have had Elliott since June, so he is app. 13-14 months old. We had him neutered as soon as possible after adopting him.
: Question 1: He continues to try to "mate" with one of our female dogs. Is this likely to stop? What is the best way to stop this. Our yellow lab does not appreciate this behavior.

: Question 2: Recently Elliott has begun to pee in the house. This has not been the case until just recently. Is this typical?

: Question 3: Labs take typically around 2 years to "mature" or be considered "grown up". In speaking with others, we are told Jack's tend to calm down a bit by around 15 months. Is this true?
:

Response:

Hi Theresa,

Thanks for adopting one of our terriers in need! Hopefully I can answer some of your questions.

1) The mounting that your terrier is doing is probably more related to dominance than a sexual nature. Puppies and dogs do this all the time in trying to establish dominance, and many times they will mount dogs of the same sex, so as you can see when you are dealing with an altered animal, this behavior is more steeped in dominance than anything else. I have two neutered males and one constantly humps the other one when they are playing, they're 8 and 7...life goes on lol!

You can try stopping this by keeping him leashed and giving leash corrections and a firm "NO" but usually the other dogs will be the ones to give the "corrections." You just need to make sure the lab doesn't chomp too hard, if she gives a strong enough correction he should back off.

2) This is only typical of marking behavior. You don't mention how old Elliott was when he finally got neutered but early neutering usually can stop this behavior before it starts. You might have waited a bit too long. Please check our go-to-ground search and use the word marking and you should come up with lots of previous posts about that and what you can do about it.

3) Well terriers usually don't "mellow" out like other breeds of dogs although you should see some maturing at around 2 but Elliott will still be a high energy breed for many years to come. I have also found though that they will adapt to the tone set in the house fairly well. We have a quiet home here, no kids running around etc so our 2 terriers tend to be on the mellow, quiet side because that's how it is in our home. If your house is full of life and lots of kids running around, then your terrier is more than likely going to be a lot more active than my two. That's not to say my two don't have their moments lol!

Regards,
Marie