Re: stocky terrier

Posted by:  Jane McClay
Posted on:  January 16, 2003 at 18:15:28

In Reply to: stocky terrier
Category:   Other
Posted by:  Claire
Posted on:  January 16, 2003 at 15:43:29

Question:

: my JRT is 1 year and 5 months and is pretty small as far as the breed goes-most other JRTs are twice her size. she is getting kinda stocky especially in the belly. she exercises a lot but can't get rid of the belly. what to do?
: thanks

Response:

Hi, Claire,

One of the things I like best about this breed is that our dogs just don't come from some cookie cutter mold. I LOVE the differences between my terriers. I have a friend who has this short legged little terrier with these glorious, HUGE prick ears. I used to have a little dog that I called a "Jacked Up Russell" because his front legs were shorter than his back legs. I also have a terrier I call "'Fro" because he has this curly-q hair that really is almost an afro. He's beautiful to me BECAUSE of his quirks, just as most people feel about their unique little Jack Russell. I love my short ones as much as my tall one, and I adore the long bodied, short legged rescues I get as much as the long legged ones. They're all individuals.

While people should only breed the dogs that "fit the standard" we all LOVE them no matter what they look like. :o)

If she's a short legged dog, she's going to have a tendancy to be heavier, but no matter what her leg length, be sure to have her on a feeding schedule, and don't leave food down for her to eat whenever she feels like it if she tends to be heavy. My dogs get about a little over a cup a day, except for my 14" tall dog, who needs more than that because he seems to burn calories like crazy. Also, make sure you're feeding a good food with plenty of protien. Some of those cheaper, grocery store foods contain a ton of cereals, and a dog will need to eat more of it to get the same protien content as a good, quality food. You can feed much less of a really good food and the dog will get great nutrition without chemicals or fillers.

Hope this helps!

Jane

Jane McClay
Maine Russell Rescue
http://userpages.acadia.net/mooserun/rescue