Re: Rejecting stitches

Posted by:  Marie Evans
Posted on:  February 23, 2003 at 13:15:14

In Reply to: Rejecting stitches
Category:   Medical
Posted by:  Joan Barnett
Posted on:  February 20, 2003 at 01:51:09

Question:

: I wrote to ask your advice regarding a feeding problem after our 6 month old Lucy was spayed. I reduced her diet to one cup a day as you suggested and she is now happy with that, thanks. We now have a much bigger problem. Lucy was very sick after her spaying surgery and the vet said it was a reaction to the anaesthetic. All seemed to be going well until last week when I noticed the area around her incision was red and one area had a black dot surrounded by a scab.. When I felt her tummy I could feel lumps. We took her back to the vet the next day and they told me her body is now rejecting the internal stitches. They are working their way up through her skin. I cannot believe she is having all these problems and the vet says it could be weeks before all the stitiches have come through. When I took her to the vet he pulled one out and snipped it off. We will have to go back every time one comes through to get it snipped and make sure there is no infection. Have you ever heard of this happening before?

Response:

Hi Joan,

I have two male terriers that are neutered and so have little experience regarding a spaying procedure, especially one with complications.

So I am posting your question in the hope that are readers might be able to shed some more light on what is happening with Lucy, perhaps someone has also had this experience and may be able to give all of us more knowledge regarding the rejection of internal stitches.

Hope she is doing better, give Lucy a hug from all of us here!

Marie