Re: Frequent Urination

Posted by:  Marie Evans
Posted on:  February 27, 2003 at 08:37:25

In Reply to: Frequent Urination
Category:   House Breaking
Posted by:  Suzi Sisson
Posted on:  February 27, 2003 at 01:02:28

Question:

: 2 wks ago we bought a bassett/fox terrier dog through the Humane Society. He's about 10 mos. old. He can go through the night without urinating. But during the day he whines at the door to go outside every 15 minutes. He pee's EVERYTIME he goes outside. His pee is clear and he seems not to be in any pain. We take him out 1st thing in the AM. Shouldn't he only need to go out the rest of the day every 2-3 hrs?

Response:

Hi Suzi,

I would have this little guy checked out by your vet. He may be suffering from a bladder infection so get this checked so you can rule out any physical reason.

If nothing is wrong with him, then he may just be trying to train you! I would put him on a schedule. Now he might have to go a bit more often than a fully mature dog so take that into consideration.

I am giving you the schedule we use on our two adult terriers:

IN THE AM: 1st outing when the household is awake (7-8:00AM for us), 11:00AM second outing

IN THE PM: Another trip around 4:00PM, another around 7-8:00PM and then right before bedtime depending on when that is but that is usually no later than 11:00PM

As you can see our dogs get out at least 6 times a day and we go out with them to make sure business gets done, we seldom have any accidents in our house.

Dogs love routine and if you establish a potty routine before long their systems start to adjust to this routine. The only exception to this would be some type of physical condition such as bladder infection or irritable bowels.

And BTW, thank you for adopting a shelter dog. I would imagine a basset/fox terrier mix is pretty cute :)

Regards,
Marie