Re: Feeding a puppy

Posted by:  Leslie Hemsing
Posted on:  April 02, 2003 at 19:58:44

In Reply to: Feeding a puppy
Category:   Other
Posted by:  Angie
Posted on:  April 02, 2003 at 15:34:17

Question:

: I have a 10 week old JRT. I want to feed him on schedule but I would love to have some guidelines as to how much food I should give him each time if I am feeding him 3 times a day. I don't know how he was fed at the breeder but his habit is to take a few bites of food at a time and if I take the bowl away after about 15 minutes an hour or so later he is acting like he wants to eat again, then the next feeding he gorges himself. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in Advance.

Response:

Dear Angie,

Good for you for deciding to put your pup on a feeding schedule! I assure you that the benefits will outweigh any "discomfort" you may experience until your little guy gets used to the schedule. :-)

Since you are feeding him 3 meals a day, each meal should be a third of his daily ration; in general, one cup of a high quality kibble a day is sufficient. We changed to 2 meals a day (1/2 a cup each meal) when our terriers were 6 months old and they remain on that schedule.

Remember that the little ones have short attention spans so you should stay in the kitchen with him while he's eating. If he's more interested in what you're doing then eating, you may need to hover a bit until he learns what "mealtime" means.

Best to you and your pup,
Leslie