Re: Growling & snapping

Posted by:  Leslie Hemsing
Posted on:  May 02, 2003 at 18:55:39

In Reply to: Growling & snapping
Category:   Aggression
Posted by:  Julie
Posted on:  May 01, 2003 at 22:51:13

Question:

: G'day again from Australia - and thank you for your previous reply concerning our new JR puppy & older terrier.

: I have another question:

: Our Male JR puppy is now 14 weeks old (we got him at 7 weeks). Prior to having his shots, he accompanied me and our older female terrier on walks in a large shoulder bag - to acclimatise him to the outside environment ASAP. He seemed to enjoy it and could see and hear everything that was going on etc.

: When we took him to the vets for his last shots, he snarled, growled & snapped at the vet!!. Needless to say, we were very taken aback!. He has not shown any aggression to us at all, nor anyone else until this.

: Now, if strangers try to pat him, he flips!! - But only if I am holding him (ie: I have picked him up)

: He now comes with us on walks (since having his shots)& walks well on the lead and just trots passed people. We are attending puppy pre-school at the vets & he seems to relly enjoy it & gets handled by other people there.

: Is the answer not to let people pat him when he is not on the ground?.

: When he displays this sort of aggression, how should we manage this?

: Thanks

: Julie

:
:

Response:

Hi Julie,

For now, I'd hold off letting people pet him when you're holding him; he needs some time to get over being defensive -- of himself and you. By attending puppy classes, he's not only getting used to be handled by other people but also learning that you, not him, are in charge of keeping yourselves safe. Having to obey an owner's commands is quite liberating for a dog who thinks it's his job to run the world... :-)

Good luck,
Leslie