Re: Best decision about a biting Jack Russell

Posted by:  Shannon
Posted on:  May 15, 2003 at 07:01:46

In Reply to: Best decision about a biting Jack Russell
Category:   Aggression
Posted by:  Stayce Brown
Posted on:  May 14, 2003 at 00:04:14

Question:

: I have a two year old male Jack Russell who has started to bite. He had not broken skin until today when he bit a 10 month old in the face! The wound could have been much worse. He has known and been protective of this child since the child was 3 months old. My dog is so attached to me, and I to him. He has been obedience trained but continues to be aggressive toward other dogs, our cats, (which we have been able to handle) but now he is biting humans due to his inate protectiveness. My partner says he is an accident waiting to happen and that today's incident is a warning. He feels the next time Beau could disfigure a child or adult and we would have to live with that the rest of our lives. Is it in Beau's best interest to put him to sleep since he is a biter and very attached to me, or to try to find him a home through Jack Russell rescue? I would not trust any other medium to try to find him a home. This is a nightmare as I love him so much. Please advise.

Response:

You dont say whether or not he is neutered, this would be a great place to start. Also check for some trainers in your area and work with them one on one with this problem.
Recommended Books FAQ, Aggression FAQ