Post Response (Restricted)

Re: my jack is aloof

Posted by:  Jane McClay
Posted on:  February 22, 2001 at 07:52:27

In Reply to: my jack is aloof
Posted by:  sandra dejessa
Posted on:  February 20, 2001 at 20:19:48

Question:

: my jrt is very aloof with people she is familiar with.however,when she sees a stranger-particularly a man or child(or other dog)she greets them as if it was her long lost owner.i only get that response from her if i've been gone for hours or if i pretend to hug my boyfriend.she wont even kiss me otherwise.she is in obedience training(top of her class!)and goes to work with me everyday.i am the only one who feeds her and trains her.needless to say my feelings get hurt.any ideas?

------------------ Response Area -------------------

Hi, Sandra,

Forgive me, but I'm not seeing a problem here. I have a couple terriers who are like this, and I just think they're well behaved. I don't think I've ever seen anyone who wants their terrier to be MORE excited than it is!!

Dogs have their own personalities. I wouldn't let my feelings get hurt over this if I were you. I think you just have to accept the fact that your terrier is laid back. I've never thought of that as a bad thing.

I also have a couple terriers who won't kiss my face, but it's out of respect for me. I read about it in a few behavioral books, because I found it funny that my terriers would lick other people's faces like a couple of nuts, but never kissed my face. Then I found out it was a sign of submission that they not only wouldn't kiss my face, but wouldn't get right in my face and look right at my eyes, either. And these aren't dogs that ever get treated harshly, either. They just respect me.

I noticed that you pretend to hug your boyfriend to get your dog to behave a certain way, though, and I just want to recommend that you don't do this with your terrier. I know you mean it innocently, but it's basically teasing, and teasing can weaken your relationship with your dog.

Jane