Re: Adding a Third Jack

Posted by:  Linda
Posted on:  February 28, 2001 at 08:27:06

In Reply to: Adding a Third Jack
Posted by:  Jean
Posted on:  February 23, 2001 at 11:30:09

Question:

: Hi,
: I am thinking about adding a third Jack-I already have 2-both are altered. The male is 7, the female is 2. The male is mostly the alpha-but they do share the wealth. I do dog-sit a friend's female freqently and they do all get along. I want to get a third and was wondering what my best choice as far as sex goes. I am leaning more towards a male as my male doesn't play that much with the female-he is the more aggressive of the two and ignored the female when we brought her home. I'm not sure whether I would be keeping the third one in tact (whatever sex we get)-would depend on the quality. Was wondering what might be my best decision.

------------------ Response Area -------------------
The only thing I can tell you is that Same Sex aggression is well documented in this breed and you must be prepared to seperate them and rotate them outside if you need too. If you aren't willing to do this then I suggest that you don't take the chance on adding another one to your family. It is a lot of work for those of us that have more than one of the same sex, and as I said if you aren't prepared to keep them seperation and as long as you know that, same sex aggression can and will occur.
I can't really tell you what to do but I would suggest that you use the search engine and put in Same Sex aggression or Aggression, and read some of the posts that are already on the board and in the archives. Also look at Bad Dog Talk Bad Dog Talk
All any of us can do is give you the information that we have from our knowledge of this breed and so you can make an informed decision.
Regards
Linda