Post Response (Restricted)

Re: A new puppy

Posted by:  Jane McClay
Posted on:  April 02, 2001 at 11:57:37

In Reply to: A new puppy
Posted by:  Jessie Hendricks
Posted on:  April 02, 2001 at 07:58:45

Question:

: I have a wonderful 9 month old male JR who is the most gentle Jack we have ever known. We just got a new puppy, a 8 week old male and the older one seems very depressed. HE doesn't fight back or eator really want to play we are very worried about what to do. Should we have gotten a female, even if they are both going to be fixed? Or should we just not get him a buddy to play with. I cannot cry anymore and need help ASAP please. Thanks-Jessie

------------------ Response Area -------------------

Hi, Jessie,

I like to call this condition "The Dreaded New Puppy Disease." It's usually perfectly normal and goes away in time. Be patient and just wait it out. Don't try to overcompensate. If you try to bribe your older puppy into changing his mood, you will be rewarding him for his behavior that you don't really like... therefore reinforcing it. This will make it harder for him to adjust. So just be yourself and act like nothing ever happened.

Also, please be aware of same sex aggression in this breed. I know you think you know your dogs, but they're still very young and won't have formed adult personalities until much later... usually between 2 and 3 years of age. Early neutering helps, but doesn't always do away with same sex aggression. Be prepared for it if it starts!

Second Dog FAQ, Bad Dog Talk

Jane