Post Response (Restricted)

Re: Going to bathroom after eating

Posted by:  Jane McClay
Posted on:  April 22, 2001 at 14:49:39

In Reply to: Going to bathroom after eating
Posted by:  Janet Narduzzi
Posted on:  April 17, 2001 at 12:47:25

Question:

: We got a 4-1/2 year old female Jack Russell about 3 months ago. A real cutie. We were told that after each meal we should immediately take her out so she could go to the bathroom. We take her out and she may urinate, but there is no stool elimination. Sometimes she does not eliminate until 2 in the morning and does nothing during the day, and then sometimes she eliminates two or three times in one day. We only feed her twice a day and take away her bowl away around 6:30 in the evening. Is this common or should we be doing something different. It concerns me that she does not go sometimes for a whole day.

------------------ Response Area -------------------

Hi, Janet,

First thing's first, have you had your vet check her out and give her a throrough exam? That's always a good idea just to be on the safe side.

As for taking her outside, taking her out after she eats isn't the ONLY time she'll have to go to the bathroom. Taking them out after they eat is so you can start getting the idea of when she'll actually go. Make notes of her schedule so you can start predicting the most common time she goes. I know it seems haphazzard to you right now, but if you wrote it down, you'd start seeing a pattern.

You don't say whether she's having accidents in the house or not, so I'm not really sure what the problem is unless it's just the unpredictability. Try only leaving the food bowls down for 20 minutes in the morning and 20 minutes in the evening. That should help her get more regulated.

But most important, if you're concerned about a physical issue with your dog, ALWAYS see or call your vet.

Jane