Post Response (Restricted)

Re: Seizure

Posted by:  Linda
Posted on:  May 02, 2001 at 18:39:59

In Reply to: Seizure
Posted by:  Lisa
Posted on:  May 02, 2001 at 18:05:20

Question:

: My JRT Luigi has been having what appears to be seizures once a month for the last year. My vet examined him and found no organ disfunction which leads us to believe it may be epilepsy. The seizures last for about 5 minutes and include him being very stiff, having a dazed look in his eye, and leg biting. Are there any alternative treatments besides phenobarbitol?

------------------ Response Area -------------------
You really need to be asking your Vet this, I have a seizuring dog and he has been on Phenobarbitol since he was 2 1/2 with no ill effects. The drug is one of choice because it does a better job or decreasing the likelyhood of siezures. A dog that you let continue to have seizures without proper medication is worse than the effects of the Phenobarb. Sometimes if the dosage of Pheobarb is high they will also put the dog on Potassium Bromide, but that is normally in conjuction with the Pheobarb. When you put your dog on medication you will need to have the blood work checked every six months to make sure the levels are correct, if you don't you dog could continue to siezure and this will kill him. Maintaining the proper medication levels is the key to not having seizures.

My Tyson has no ill effect from this because I have the levels checked and he also has no liver problems. He is no 9 going on 10 and you would never know that he is Epileptic. How your dog reacts to the drug at first you may see some slow down, I did not and he has never slowed down.
Please ask your Vet all your question, rely on his advice, h e knows what is best for your dog and your situation
Regards
Linda

PS sorry if there are any typo's or mistakes in this, but I am doing this one fingered because of a bum right wirst and can't use my right hand to type.