Post Response (Restricted)

Re: after sugery

Posted by:  Heather Reid
Posted on:  May 06, 2001 at 20:23:42

In Reply to: after sugery
Posted by:  Mike B. Dill
Posted on:  May 06, 2001 at 20:08:58

Question:

: I have a female Jack named Maggie. She is 3 years old. She had an absolutely ELECTRIC personality, and the same with her activity leval. You simply can't explain to people just how active she is untill they see her for themselves. She lives to play ball. From baseballs to basket balls. She will take a basket ball at a full run and balance it on her nose for 30'.A week ago I had her spayed. She now is a very passive dog. She will stand and stare into a room with no-one there for 5 minutes at a time. It almost seems she doesn't think about the same things. Even her personality has changed. She walks by her toys now with no intrest. I am worried. Could she have been given too much anesthesia? Mike Dill

------------------ Response Area -------------------
Hi Mike,
Keep in mind that when a woman has this surgery, she is off work and out-of-commission for at least 6 weeks. It's going to take more than a week before your girl starts feeling 100% normal again.
Please call your vet in the morning to talk to him about this. Only medical professionals can address medical questions, and help you determine if there is a complication or if her level of discomfort isn't normal.
I have never known a spay to change personality long-term, but my female milked it with her daddy for a long, long time.
Heather