Re: Finding the right home

Posted by:  Heather Reid
Posted on:  May 07, 2001 at 09:52:26

In Reply to: Finding the right home
Posted by:  Julie
Posted on:  May 07, 2001 at 09:09:30

Question:

: Hello!

: I have a question regarding my 4 year old female JRT. We adopted her from a local shelter about two months ago. We already have a 2 1/2 year old male. The female is EXTREMELY aggressive at times. She guards things like toys, bones, blankets, my husband, etc. When she is guarding these items she will growl, snarl, and even bite if you get near her. We have been working with a trainer and doing everything she has told us, but it still has not changed anything. This past weekend, she really came at me, and I know I am not supposed to show any fear, but this dog scared me!!!! The hard part is that 80% of the time, she is one of the sweetest animals I have ever seen. I am afraid we are going to have to find a different home for her. At the present time, we cannot leave any toys out, which is not fair to my other dog. We are planning to start a family in a couple of years, and I am very concerned about what could happen. I do realize the characteristics of JRTs as I said we have another that we have had since he was eight weeks old. While he is definitely a JRT, I KNOW he would never hurt anyone. I have tried contacting both rescue sites in Maryland listed on your website to try and find a suitable home for this female JRT (probably one person, no other animals would work best), but I have not heard back. I know they must be extremely busy, so I am not blaming them, but I wonder if you have any other suggestions. As I mentioned we live in Maryland. Any guidance you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

: Thank you.

: Julie

------------------ Response Area -------------------
Hi Julie,
Finding a new home for a dog isn't this easy. Even when the dog is well-behaved and gets along with other dogs, it can take a terribly long time to find that dog an appropriate home. Unfortunately, rehoming a dog with severe aggression problems is next to impossible. If you think about it, it also isn't very fair. Think about how hard it is for you. Would you really ask someone else to take this on?
You do not state how long you have worked with a trainer. These issues can take months if not years to completely resolve. If you are serious about giving up the dog, your trainer is who I would talk to about it and ask for assistance. There are too many non-aggressive dogs in rescue for reps to handle right now.
Good luck!
Heather