Posted by:  Heather Reid
Posted on:  May 15, 2001 at 20:34:40

In Reply to: Peeing (again)
Posted by:  sue
Posted on:  May 15, 2001 at 17:09:14

Question:

: Hello again!

: Sorry for the lack of information.
: So I'll start over again! I have a intact, 4 1/2 year old male that is peeing on the floor in the house. His enviroment has not been changed. Hope that is enough information for you.

:
: Sue

------------------ Response Area -------------------
Hi Sue,
I am not surprised to learn that your dog is intact. Intact males mark. It's like their job. Some start early, as puppies, and some wait until much later to develop this lovely habit. An intact male that never marks from the day he was born until the day he dies is extremely rare.
First, I would have him checked for medical issues, such as urinary tract or bladder infection. You need to rule that out first.
Then, you are back to the way it was when he was tiny. Watch him every single second, and if that's not possible, crate him. Leash him to you if you have to. Reinforce good potty habits by going outside with him for immediate praise and reward. Clean all areas where he does pee with an enzymatic cleaner. Neutering at this age will not completely eliminate this habit, but it certainly won't make it worse. It may even help.
Sorry to say you may never be able to completely break this habit; that's the biggest risk you take by chosing to leave your dog intact.
Good luck!
Heather