The Official Site - Q&A Forum Jack Russell Terrier Club of America  
Q&A Forum

Forum Main Menu

Post Response (Restricted)

Re: Why is Turkey Bad for JRT's?

Posted by:  Heather Reid
Posted on:  June 25, 2001 at 23:01:55

In Reply to: Why is Turkey Bad for JRT's?
Posted by:  Barry
Posted on:  June 25, 2001 at 22:29:21

Question:

: I read in last November's Archive that Turkey contained L-Tryptophan which is a calmative. I gave my female JRT some pieces of Turkey that I was having for lunch (about 5 pieces-small). I won't give her anymore turkey from now on. She seemed fine, but did vomit later in the day. Could the turkey have caused her vomiting? I do give her small slices of baby carrots during the day if she obeys a commend as well as her regular dog food (Nutro). She did seem tired by 9:30pm but she normally sacks out around that time anyway. Are they're any other meats which dogs shouldn't be fed?

------------------ Response Area -------------------
Hi Barry,
Tryptophan, an amino acid, is the stuff that makes you fall asleep in front of the football game Thanksgiving Day. It's found in a lot of foods.
Turkey is one of the few things my male is not allergic to, and all of my dogs have been getting turkey almost every meal since September 1997... well, except for Luke who is only 11 months old and hasn't been around that long. I have never had a problem, nor found in my reading or consutling with a veterinary nutritionist that it is a problem when properly prepared in a balanced diet. There are even turkey-based processed foods on the market.
The turkey may have been what caused her to throw up, but less likely because it was turkey-iteslf and more likely because it was a change to her system. If you are unsure, talk to a vet who has experience with nutrition. That's always the best route.
Oh... and my dogs are no less "calm" for the turkey, that's for sure!
Heather