Post Response (Restricted)

Re: Roscoe's Room

Posted by:  Claudia A. Costa
Posted on:  June 28, 2001 at 16:24:54

In Reply to: Roscoe's Room
Posted by:  Ellen
Posted on:  June 27, 2001 at 18:50:08

Question:

: Our little Roscoe will be a year old in July and we have always kept him gated in the kitchen while we are at work during the day. We have a large kitchen and he seems to like it in there with his kennel, bed, food, water, toys and even a radio. I still feel bad about keeping him confined to one area and was wondering if we should start with keeping him in our bedroom where his doggie door is and then gradually give him whole house freedom? We live in Phoenix, Arizona, the valley of perpetual heat, so I have some concerns about leaving him with full access to the outdoors, for fear of him overheating. I just wonder if he get's a little bored or stir crazy. He is our life and my husband and I want to do what's best for him, any ideas?

------------------ Response Area -------------------

Hi Ellen.

Your concerns are very valid and I would suggest you keep your baby contained.

We normally STRONGLY recommend crate training, but your jrt seems to be doing fine in his kitchen area. Unless you want to start retraining him, just let him be.

Letting him roam does mean trouble. He will most likely sleep during the day anyway.

Here is a prior response I gave to someone who wanted to break crate training. http://www.terrier.com/wwwboard/messages/25365.html

By analogy, please consider it as a reason why you should not let your jack roam free. You are right, letting your jack out could mean a world of possibilities which could place your jack in great danger.

He is safe and snug in his little area. Let him be and when you get home, give him lots of exercise and he will be just fine.

Good luck,

Claudia A. Costa
ccosta@stryker.com