The Official Site - Q&A Forum Jack Russell Terrier Club of America  
Q&A Forum

Forum Main Menu

Post Response (Restricted)

Re: My JRT Can't Be Housebroken!

Posted by:  Marie Evans
Posted on:  August 16, 2001 at 09:17:18

In Reply to: My JRT Can't Be Housebroken!
Posted by:  Jeannine
Posted on:  August 15, 2001 at 16:02:27

Question:

: We have 2 JRT sisters. They are just over a year old. Sierra has been housebroken almost from the very start and has only had a few accidents since we got them in September. Sonoma, on the other hand, doesn't seem to understand going indoors and especially in the crate is unacceptable. She both urinates and deficates - especially in the crate! We have tried restricting the crate even further, we always praise/reward when she goes outside, we've tried restricting water, changing feeding times. We also always wash and deordorize but we can't seem to get through to her. What is the problem?! I need lots of help because we are going through a lot of paper towels and detergent!

: Thanks.

: JB

------------------ Response Area -------------------
Hi Jeannine,

It sounds like Sonoma needs to get on a potty schedule. She can be housebroken obviously with her it will take longer, some dogs are like that.

I highly suggest you get this book "How to Housebreak a Dog in 7 Days" by Shirlee Kalstone.

It is a small paperback book that for me is the bible for housebreaking a dog. It is loaded with tips and timetables.

I am providing you a link where you can purchase it right through the JRTCA site via Amazon.

Training Books

Please get this book and read it. It could be the answer to your problem.

Regards,
Marie