Post Response (Restricted)

Re: Anxiety about nail grooming

Posted by:  Marie Evans
Posted on:  August 27, 2001 at 15:56:28

In Reply to: Anxiety about nail grooming
Posted by:  T. Joyce
Posted on:  August 27, 2001 at 14:31:03

Question:

: My 2 1/2 year old female is as sweet as sugar until the time comes to cut her nails. Truth be told the time comes long past due by the time I get my courage up to put her through the nail cutting ordeal. I used oven mitts to protect my hands today and finally had to resort to using her muzzle(purchased for and only used during the nail cutting) so I could get the eight front nails groomed. She seems to kind of lose her mind when I cut her nails. I have never hurt her or cut her nails too short. I wonder if she could be having an early memory of having her dew claws removed when she was a new pup. I could use some advice so I might be able to groom her front and back feet within the same 6 month period. Thanks!

------------------ Response Area -------------------
Hi!

Well this is a pretty tough thing to get a dog over. I have two myself and I can tell you this has nothing to do with dew claw removal. Dew claws are removed when a pup is so very young they just don't remember.

One of my terriers had his dew claws removed and one still has his. Both don't care for nail clipping. If you have ever accidently cut the quick chances are she is never going to end up liking the process.

But you could try using a Dremel and sand the nails. All nail clippers end up squeezing the nail which is uncomfortable for the dog. Some people have switched to the Dremel and have had very good success although you will have to get your dog used to it.

Muzzling is a very good idea if you think your girl will snap but I can guess that she is also feeding off of your own anxiety over the process.

You can opt to do what I do and that is call the groomer or vet and run her in just for a nail clip. My vet charges $5 per dog, the vet tech does it and within minutes we are ready to go home.

In fact we are going in this week! I don't have to deal with any anxiety except to get the little rascals there. No muss, no fuss.

Regards,
Marie