Post Response (Restricted)

Re: JRT skin irritation

Posted by:  Jane McClay
Posted on:  September 07, 2001 at 16:14:23

In Reply to: JRT skin irritation
Posted by:  June
Posted on:  September 07, 2001 at 15:48:32

Question:

: Our 1 1/2 yr. old Jack Russell female has developed a serious itching problem. She is scratching herself everywhere to the point of irritating her skin raw. We took her to the Vet who thinks it is probably an allergy but we can't determine to what. This started suddenly in the middle of August. No change to food or environment that we can think of. We tried Benadryl but no improvement. The vet switched us to another antihistamine but she is still scratching. Does anyone have any ideas or similiar circumstances to relate to us? Thanks, June

------------------ Response Area -------------------
Hi, June,

Did your vet check for mites? Fleas? Dry skin? Dogs are just as prone as humans are to things like excema, dandruff and soriacis(I wish I could spell all these things... but I can't even look them up in the dictionary to get the spelling because I'm obviously so far off. I hate that!) And the more you bathe, the worse your terrier's skin will be because it strips the skin of all the natural oils that keep a dog's coat and skin nice and healthy. Lots of people think that shampoos will soothe the skin when in fact they can worsen itching to a serious degree!! Even those shampoos "for sensitive, dry skin."

This is like looking for a needle in a haystack, though. I can only say that if your vet is content with the information he gave you and won't figure out what is ailing your terrier, it would be worthwhile to get a second opinion. Find someone who can help your terrier. I sure wouldn't be too crazy about my vet if he couldn't help my dog. That's his JOB!

Good luck, and please let us know what you find out?

Jane