Post Response (Restricted)

Re: traffic training

Posted by:  Marie Evans
Posted on:  September 07, 2001 at 17:24:15

In Reply to: traffic training
Posted by:  Kathy
Posted on:  September 07, 2001 at 17:04:59

Question:

: We recently lost our dog, Jack. He was hit by a car. We are getting a new Jack Russell and I would like to know if it is possible to train them to stay away from the street in front of our home. It is a busy street and we couldn't bear to lose another dog. I have looked in some dog training books and haven't found anything. Thanks for you help.

------------------ Response Area -------------------
Hi Kathy,

Please, if you are not going to properly contain your dog don't get another one.

None of us recommend letting a dog loose, if you want a dog that will stick by your house this is not the breed. This is a prey focused hunting dog and all it has to do is hear, see or smell something and their instincts kick in.

If you can't bear to lose another dog then keep it in a well fenced area where it cannot get out and killed by a car.

YOU have to be the caretaker of an animal that doesn't know any better, as I said if you can't keep your dog properly contained don't get another one because the same thing is going to happen again and again.

Go to the memorial section here on the site and just see how many of these dogs end up dead because they were hit by cars. I don't think of my dogs as something so expendible to not watch out for their welfare. My dogs are contained and when they are not in a contained area they are leashed. I plan to keep my guys for as long as I can they are my best pals and if that means fencing them in or leashing them then that is what I do.

I suggest you do the same.

Marie