Post Response (Restricted)

Re: JRT keeps barking until I give In

Posted by:  Marie Evans
Posted on:  October 13, 2001 at 12:57:57

In Reply to: JRT keeps barking until I give In
Posted by:  BARRY
Posted on:  October 12, 2001 at 22:17:58

Question:

: I have just started to let my 2 yr. old female JRT sleep with me. I just felt her crate was okay during the day (for 2 to 3 hours) but not for sleeping all night. I do put her in the crate around 10pm till I'm ready to hit the sack around 12:30pm. During that time she barks on and off (sometimes almost a series of small annoying barks) which wakes the other person in the house up (who has a hard time getting back to sleep once wakened). What should I do? Keep her in my bedroom by herself until I'm ready to go to bed also? I also have to bring her outside several times at night until she's done her business. Any suggestions?

------------------ Response Area -------------------
Hi Barry,

Well normally I would suggest you trying to win the battle by just being able to be the one to hold out the longest. I am afraid if you just put her in your bedroom by herself until you are ready to go to bed yourself you are just going to end up with a terrier that instead of barking in her crate is now barking in your bedroom until you cave in. But seeing there is another person involved in this scenario I guess toughing it out is out of the question.

Just let her be with you then if that is possible.

As far as the other problem, you might want to try putting her on a feeding/potty schedule. Don't free feed. Dogs LOVE routines! Try getting her into a routine and when you take/let her out, stay with her until her business is done.

I will tell you that my boys do go out up to 3 times in the evening before bedtime. So going out several times in an evening is not that unusual. It IS unusual if you are having to get up in the middle of the night. That is when you really need to rethink the potty thing.

Regards,
Marie