Post Response (Restricted)

Re: Love me...Loves me not

Posted by:  Marie Evans
Posted on:  October 13, 2001 at 13:15:04

In Reply to: Love me...Loves me not
Posted by:  Jonna
Posted on:  October 12, 2001 at 12:18:06

Question:

: Our 15 month old pup, Basil, has developed some odd traits that concern me. I spend more time with him than my husband does becuase I have the time and I love doing fun things with him. We go on walks, I come home from work at lunch everyday to let him out, I take him to training classes, meet and greets and on car trips with me. I basically try to include him in all that I do. My husband is very busy with several jobs at the moment and hasn't been around much. Logically, I would think that Basil would be more attached to me and mind me more because I am around the most, but it's the other way around.

: It's very disheartening when I just come back from taking him out on a fun trip somewhere and he hops in my husband's lap and just cuddles. He does't do that with me. Basil now sits with him, listens to him, follows him....I feel like I'm losing the affection of my little man. I'm sure he just misses my husband but why does it seem like he's blowing me off completely in spite of all that I'm doing with him? Any suggestions on how to get that affection back? This work situation could last a while.

: ... or am I just being a paranoid mom? or even a jealous one?

------------------ Response Area -------------------
Hi Jonna,

Well I have to tell you these guys can be little heartbreakers lol!!

Case in point, my husband is crazy about our one terrier Brody. When he comes home from work Brody does greet him like his long lost best pal and then usually spends the rest of the evening treating my husband like dirt hahaha!

You know it could be just that Basil has you all the time and so right now while your husband is less available to him all of a sudden HE is the object of Basil's affection.

You know, very much like human nature...we always want the one we can't have haha!

In our house there is always one way to a terrier's heart and that is through his stomach! You might want to cut back a little on Basil's meals and leave some special little treats to have while you are on the couch watching television.

Get some raw baby carrots and see if Basil likes those, or cut up some little cubes of cheese. While you are on the couch watching television break out some treats....I am willing to bet Basil will now find YOU much more appealing than your husband!

Make it a little ritual at a certain time every night...oh yeah and don't feed Basil all of it in one sitting...spread it out a little.

I have a feeling in no time Basil will look forward to your couch sessions.

Seriously though I am sure Basil loves you tons, it's just that your husband, someone that Basil is used to also having around, is scarce right now. I am sure once that situation is back to normal, Basil will be back to normal.

Good Luck!
Marie