Forum Main Menu

Post Response (Restricted)

When is too much too much?

Posted by:  Lori
Category:   Behavior Problems
Posted on:  October 26, 2001 at 02:33:33

Question:

Hello,

My JRT is very obsessive compulsive about many things. It's too the point where there is nothing stopping him when it's something that he is obsessive about. For instance, he goes beserk over the light of flashlights and vacuum cleaner and light images on the wall, going for a drive, climbing trees, chasing birds, squirrels, kites and planes, and playing tether ball or baseketball. I haven't corrected his behavior on these things but lately some of his behavior has been distruptive and affecting other people. For instance, if kids are playing tether ball or basketball, my dog will just jump in and try hitting the ball with his nose. Now, if kids are playing tether ball, I keep him on leash, but if he sees the tether ball going, he will cry and yelp and tug at the leash to go there. Also, he won't listen when he's going beserk over a kite and I am chasing him in a circle. Once this person's kite fell to the ground and my dog attacked it and tore it to shreds. Can you please provide some suggestions on these problems and whether I should stop him immediately when he becomes obsessive compulsive about things.

Thanks,
Lori