Post Response (Restricted)

Re: Paper training

Posted by:  Marie Evans
Posted on:  October 26, 2001 at 16:15:56

In Reply to: Paper training
Posted by:  Jason White
Posted on:  October 26, 2001 at 12:57:14

Question:

: For a couple of weeks our JRT puppy, now 11 weeks, was doing extremely well with her paper training. Now she isn't doing well at all. We have given her a lot of attention in the evenings, as if we could resist the little nipper, but when she has to eliminate she does it out of our sight. How can we get her back on to the road to being potty trained?

------------------ Response Area -------------------
Hi Jason,

None of the reps on this board recommend paper training as a way to housebreak your dog and you are now finding out the main reason we don't recommend it. Papertraining should only be used for extremely young puppies and this usually happens with breeders. By the time most people get their puppies they are old enough to eliminate outdoors.

Paper training only reinforces the idea that the dog can use the house to eliminate in.

If you are lucky enough to have a backyard or an area not frequented by a lot of other dogs, you can start to train her to go outside.

Many dogs that are papertrained soil in the house because they don't know better or they try to go on the paper area they are given and miss the mark.

You need to have your little girl on a feeding and potty schedule.

You will also find that with housebreaking you will take 4 steps forward and then 6 steps back. This breed has a reputation of being rather hard to housebreak, I think it is due to their independent nature.

Do yourself a big favor and invest a few dollars by ordering yourself what I consider the "bible" of housebreaking, "How to Housebreak Your Dog in 7 Days" by Shirlee Kalstone. It is a small paperback book, less than $7 through the JRTCA site here in conjunction with Amazon. This book is a Godsend for those trying to housebreak a pup and even an older dog. Shirlee gives some great potty schedules you can use to help get your girl housebroken but even she will tell you it will take longer than a week! I will provide the link where you can order the book. Look under Training Books.

Be patient! Many of these terriers aren't fully housebroken until they are about a year old.

And even after that these guys are so smart if you don't watch their signals they will just say "The heck with you!"...I know I JUST ignored my 7 year old terrier while answering your post. He was pacing back and forth and he just did half of his peeing in the house! So as you can see they are very independent minded!

Good Luck!
Marie

Additional Reading: Training Books