The Official Site - Q&A Forum Jack Russell Terrier Club of America  
Q&A Forum

Forum Main Menu

Post Response (Restricted)

Re: I need to find a good trainer!

Posted by:  Marie Evans
Posted on:  November 02, 2001 at 12:54:18

In Reply to: I need to find a good trainer!
Posted by:  JARET
Posted on:  November 02, 2001 at 09:15:51

Question:

: I have a highly energetic (and highly affectionate)3 year old Jack Russell Terrier. I live in the Philadelphia, PA area and am looking for a good basic trainer to help train this breed. The only thing I found was a trainer at a local Pet Smart but, after the first class, I can already tell this will not be the training for him. Anyone have any contacts in the area I can give a call to? HELP!

------------------ Response Area -------------------
Hi Jaret,

A good trainer should be familiar with the characteristics of many breeds and tailor methods to those characteristics.

There are "dog trainers" and then there are dog trainers as you are finding out.

It usually doesn't cost a whole lot more to find an accredited, experienced, up-to-date on all new methods and theories dog trainer than what you find in these chains.

The trainer I use doesn't specialize in JRTs but she does understand where they are coming from.

I am providing you a link to the "Association of Pet Dog Trainers" search page. My trainer is a member of this association and if the rest of them are as good as she is you and your JRT will be in excellent hands.

APDT Search

Hope this helps and you can locate one near you.

Regards,
Marie