Post Response (Restricted)

Re: JRT agression toward men

Posted by:  Marie Evans
Posted on:  November 11, 2001 at 19:48:19

In Reply to: JRT agression toward men
Posted by:  Karen Bryant
Posted on:  November 10, 2001 at 08:48:21

Question:

: How do I correct the agression my adopted JRT displays toward my husband. She is perfect in everyother way but in this area. He can't even hug me or walk in the door at night without her attacking him and has took nips, barking with the hair raising attacks to him as well. Please help. With this behavior I'm asuming she was abused by a man. Her companionship means the world to me but I have to correct this problem. Any advise or training I can give her would save our home life. Thank you.

------------------ Response Area -------------------
Hi Karen,

If you can talk your husband into it, have HIM take your terrier to obedience school. I suggest this because it will help the dog bond better with your husband. You can also try to have your husband give the dog its meals and do some general taking care of.

It does make a difference and while you might always be your dog's favorite, the dog should be better able to handle her relationship with your husband.

Obedience school makes dealing with behavioral problems much quicker and easier. It is better to be able to put a dog in a sit/stay when your husband comes home than trying to drag a nipping barking dog off of him.

Hope your husband says yes!

Regards,
Marie