Post Response (Restricted)

Re: New Grand child in house, dog has become very aggr

Posted by:  Marie Evans
Posted on:  November 15, 2001 at 15:05:44

In Reply to: New Grand child in house, dog has become very aggr
Posted by:  Elizabeth Venditti
Posted on:  November 15, 2001 at 14:52:37

Question:

: I was wondering if there is anything that I can do when my daughter brings over her baby. Pete our JRT is a wonderful dog, however since the baby has arrived his personality has changed. Pete always barked when someone came into our home, and barked for quite sometime. Now however, it not just the barking he jumps up and tries to bite her hands or feet. We tried to do the doll things, the blanket everything that has been suggested to us. We love him and I don't want to crate him all the time or put him in a room while she is here. I will be babysitting my grand daughter at least twice a week and I don't want to get rid of him. What do you suggest can be done with him. My vet said to keep them separated but AI am try to be understanding of his feeling also. Please help.

------------------ Response Area -------------------
Hi Elizabeth,

I can understand your concern not only for your new grand daughter but also for your dog.

Your vet has the quickest, easiest solution and I would suggest using that for now.

I also am going to suggest getting a book to read. It's not a very big book so it shouldn't take long to get through and it should be available in paperback so your investment won't be that big. But it should be worth the money.

This problem you are dealing with is much too complicated to entirely go through via a message board.

The name of the book is "Child-Proofing Your Dog" by Brian Kilcommons and Sarah Wilson. It's only 86 pages and is less than $10. It is a must read for your situation.

Remember that this isn't exclusively a JRT problem but terriers in general are highly territorial dogs.

Get this book and apply the methods to your dog and it also wouldn't hurt to get Pete into a good obedience school. It will make a world of difference.

Congratulations on your new grand-daughter and don't despair, it only looks grim right now....there are ways to deal with this.

Regards,
Marie