Post Response (Restricted)

Re: Horse droppings

Posted by:  Marie Evans
Posted on:  November 19, 2001 at 08:45:15

In Reply to: Horse droppings
Posted by:  LIa
Posted on:  November 19, 2001 at 07:34:04

Question:

: I take my JTR on hiking trails that horses use also. She will not stop eating (gross!) the horse droppings...is this normal, safe, going to stop?

------------------ Response Area -------------------
Hi Lia,

Yes this is perfectly normal! Mine love to hunt out the deer poop on our property and help themselves. Is is gross to us but must be some special "gourmet" treat to them haha!

Anyway, I would keep her on heartworm meds year-round if you are going to be doing this a lot. The heartworms meds not only prevents hearworms but all sorts of other types of worms. My guys stay on it all year long and we haven't had any worm problems here regardless of what they think is tasty, whether it's deer poop or kitty crunches.

If you are walking her on lead you will have to be more attentive and as she goes for the droppings give her a leash correction and a firm "NO."

So yes is is normal, if you have your dog on heartworm meds it should be relatively safe (but remember too much of anything is not good) and her penchant for such morsels will probably never really stop!

Regards,
Marie