Post Response (Restricted)

Re: ocd in jrt

Posted by:  Jane McClay
Posted on:  November 24, 2001 at 23:03:31

In Reply to: Re: ocd in jrt
Posted by:  Marie Evans
Posted on:  November 24, 2001 at 17:44:16

Question:

: : My pup Penny is 9 months old she is totally obsessed with reflections and shadows. I can"t get her to come in when she is in her obsessed mode , her tail wags and her body shakes as she tries to get these reflections. I have to close the blinds in the afternoon because of the sun shinning through. When she is outside she will come to the door because she knows that when I open it the sun will hit it and change the direction of the reflection. smart little pup. If she sees my husbands watch on his wrist she goes nuts waiting for him to move it she knows that this too will cause a reflection. Is this obsessive compulsive disorder and how can I stop this if at all possible, is this bad for her. Please advise I'm very worried for my Penny pup.

: ------------------ Response Area -------------------
: Hi Diana,

: This would be certainly something to discuss with your vet. It is also a condition that should be addressed not only with him/her but also a behaviorist. They might also suggest putting Penny on drug therapy along with behavior modification.

: You might also want to pick up an excellent book titled "The Dog Who Loved Too Much" by Dr. Nicholas Dodman, a real pioneer in the field of drug therapy in conjunction with behavior modification.

: It comes in paperback is under $15 and is a book that you might find to be of real value.

: It should be available on our book page, I will provide you a link. The sooner you can address this problem with Penny the better off she will be. The longer she is allowed to do these things the more difficult it becomes of turning her around.

: Good luck, I am sure something can be done for Penny,
: Marie

------------------ Response Area -------------------

Hi, Diana,

In addition to Marie's excellent post, I'd just like to say that this behavior is often created by owners who use flashlights or laserlights to play with their dogs, but occasionally, an intelligent dog will invent this game as a way to amuse themselves if they're really bored. It is really tough to overcome once it gets out of hand. I recommend that you find a way to haze over the glass on the door that creates the reflection, and consider finding ways to stop the flashing light around the house. A friend of mine went so far as to hang blankets over the windows until she could make/buy new window treatments.

Redirecting your terrier's energy in a constructive way would be really helpful, too. A tired Jack Russell is a well behaved Jack Russell... or should I say, "A tired Jack Russell is a Jack Russell who will be too tired in the house to invent ways to amuse herself!"

Do see the vet as Marie suggested, and the book she recommends has a chapter in it called "Chasing Rabbits" that addresses this problem directly!

Jane