Post Response (Restricted)

Re: Licking other dogs

Posted by:  Leslie Hemsing
Posted on:  November 25, 2001 at 19:10:03

In Reply to: Licking other dogs
Posted by:  John A HIbbert
Posted on:  November 25, 2001 at 01:42:31

Question:

: My Jack Russell has a bad habit of licking her live in buddy. Her buddy is a miniature Schnouzer. She has many times created a hole in the Schnouzers coat by licking the hair completely off. It seems to happen a couple of times a year. I am wondering if this is because of something missing in her diet, or if this is some peculiar quirk in her personality. She is otherwise a very normal Jack.

------------------ Response Area -------------------
Dear John,

I've heard of terriers who compulsively lick themselves but this is the first time I've heard of a terrier compulsively licking another dog. It is normal for a dog to lick another dog -- clean their ears, eyes, etc -- but not to the point of hair loss. To my knowledge, dog fur/skin has no nutritional value so I doubt your terrier is licking to make up for some deficiency in her diet.

It's possible this is a behavioral issue so I suggest you think back to what was going when your terrier "over-licked" your other dog. Had the two been separated for some reason (vet visit, grooming, etc), did you have company in your house, did you travel and board them in a kennel, etc? If you can figure out the circumstances that start the behavior, you can stop the behavior.

I also suggest that you have your Schnauzer checked out by vet. It's possible that the Schnauzer has a skin condition that you and your vet haven't picked up on. Your terrier could also be licking a wound, lump, flea bite, tick, etc that you've overlooked.

Good luck,
Leslie